Insert the SD card into the card reader, and then plug the reader into the right port on your laptop. Then, use the Windows key + E to open File Explorer and go to This PC. Your SD card should be shown in the right pane. If you double-click on it, you can look at or use the files on your SD card.
You have many types of storage media devices to choose from for PC use, ranging from USB flash disks to CD/DVD-R burning. On that note, how does one open an SD card on a Dell notebook PC?
In the olden days of the 1980s, you can save files on storage mediums like floppy disks or diskettes. We then moved on to CD or DVD burning using special CD/DVD writers or burners to permanently save files you can’t delete on CD-ROM and DVD-ROM or CD-RW and DVD-RW.
With that in mind, everything is now all about the SD card or the USB flash drive. So let’s learn how to open sd card on dell laptop or any Windows machine.
How to Open SD Card on Dell Laptop
Opening an SD card on a Dell laptop or any Windows-based architecture couldn’t be simpler. Do the following:
- Like with a USB drive, just insert the SD cad unto the SD card slot or reader.
- Windows should recognize them right away and ask you what you want to do.
- You have options like open the folder or folders, view the multimedia files like MP3s and videos, and so forth.
- Open which one fits the best—usually open the folder or directory—and you’re good to go.
Access via the Windows File Explorer
You can also access your SD card using this method after inserting it unto the SD card reader.
- Go open or find Windows File Explorer. It’s the one on your Taskbar with the folder icon.
- On the left menu of the open File Explorer window, click “This PC”.
- On the right menu, you should then see your SD card among the drives available aside from your HDD.
- Click on the SD card icon to access its files and folders.
Shortcuts to the File Explorer
Having trouble finding the File Explorer because you unpinned it on the Taskbar? You can pin it again by opening it using the following shortcuts. Then you can access the SD card from there.
- You can also find File Explorer through the task bar’s search bar. Just type in “File Explorer”.
- You can also open it by the shortcut “Win Key + E” or pressing the Windows Key and the E key together.
- Again, click “This PC” and locate the SD card icon on the right pane.
- Double click the SD card in order to access the content of said storage media.
A Default Location for Installed Apps
If you want to use the SD card as a storage extension like your internal HDD, you can do so by fiddling with the settings. This will allow the card to serve as your default location for any apps you install.
- Insert the SC card unto the slot and wait for your Dell PC or laptop to recognize it.
- Go to your Start Menu then open Settings. Click on System.
- Click on “Storage” on the left menu.
- Select your SD card for the “New apps will save to” option. You can pick your SD card for “New documents will save to” and “New music will save to” as the default option.
How do you open the microSD card slot on a laptop?
How do I get my SD card to show up on my computer?
How to Fix SD Card Not Detected, Not Showing, or Not Reading Error on PC
- Fix 1: Reinstall the SD card reader driver.
- Fix 2: Assign a new drive letter to the SD card.
- Fix 3: Use CHKDSK to repair SD card corruption.
- Fix 4: Create a partition on the SD card.
- Fix 5: Recover data from the SD card.
How do I view the SD card?
View storage space
- On your Android device, open Files by Google .
- At the bottom left, tap Clean .
- At the top, you find the devices used and available storage space. If your phone has an SD card, you also find the SD card’s storage space. With SD card. Without SD card.
How do you eject a memory card from a Dell computer?
Removing the PC/Express Card
Locate the PC/Express card. Press the card eject button in and release. Press the card eject button in again. Slide the card out of the system and remove.
How do I put an SD card in my laptop without the adapter?
Click on the starting menu icon ‘My Computer’ Double-click the smartphone name. Choose the files on your SD flash and drag them to your computer desktop or any other location. The file transfer should begin successfully from your micro SD card to your PC successfully without an adapter.
Where is the SD card slot on a Dell computer?
How to Put a MicroSD in a Dell Computer
- Orient both the SD adapter and MicroSD card so that the label faces up and the metal pins face down. Video of the Day.
- Insert the MicroSD card into the adapter. Do not force the card.
- Locate the SD slot on your computer. On most Dell computers, the SD slot is in the front.
Why won’t my computer read my SD card?
If your SD card is faulty, your PC won’t recognize it. To check, you’ll need to locate another PC with a card reader, and test your SD card in that computer, to see if it works. If your SD card doesn’t work in the other PC either, it’s probably faulty, and you’ll need to replace it.
Why is my SD card not showing on my laptop?
Some of the common factors include: Poor Connection – The SD card might not be properly connected to the PC because of a damaged card reader, adapter or USB port. Driver Problems – The card driver may be outdated or corrupted if the SD card does not show up in system but can be seen in Device Manager.
How do I remove SD card reader from laptop?
To eject your memory card:
- Open the Computer window on your PC. You can double-click the Computer icon on the desktop, or open the Start menu and choose Computer.
- Click to select the memory card’s icon.
- Click the Eject button on the toolbar.
- Pull the memory card from the card slot.
How do I eject a Sandisk from my computer?
How to Properly Eject USB Flash Drive on Windows 10 PC
Can I insert SD card in laptop?
Insert the Micro SD card in the adapter slot. Insert the adapter card in the SD card port on a laptop with the inserted Micro SD card. If a card reader has no SD card connector, plug the installation disc into the laptop optical drive for an external card reader.
Does the Dell Latitude D630 have a SD card slot?
Dell Latitude D630 does not have SD card slot.
How do I activate my SD card?
How to use a MicroSD card as internal storage on Android
- Put the SD card on your Android phone and wait for it to be recognized.
- Open Settings > Storage.
- Tap the name of your SD card.
- Tap the three vertical dots on the top right corner of the screen.
- Tap Storage Settings.
- Select Format as internal option.
The Final Conclusion
It’s all “Plug & Play”, especially when you’re using Windows 10. Unless your SD card slot is somehow damaged or the card itself is non-functioning, by simply putting the card correctly on its slot the Windows OS itself should read the device and open its files via file manager with ease.
- “How to access a sd card on laptop using windows 10“, Microsoft.com Answers, February 9, 2019
- Lori Kaufman, “How to Install and Move Android Apps to the SD Card“, HowtoGeek.com, July 2, 2017
- Melanie Pinola, “How to install Windows 10 apps to an SD Card or USB Drive“, LaptopMag.com, December 17, 2015