If USB boot is turned off, you can’t start up from it without going into the bios. If you don’t know the bios password, you should contact the laptop’s support team. They should be able to help. You might have to show proof that you really own the laptop, though.
There are instances when you might need to boot your computer from a USB device without BIOS. Maybe your BIOS does not support it or the BIOS is protected by a password you don’t know. Fortunately, whatever reason you may have for not being able to use BIOS, there’s a way to successfully boot your computer, and that is what we will share with you in this guide.
Steps to Boot from USB without BIOS
There are many possible reasons why you would want to boot from USB. However, if your main goal is to boot in order to install Windows 10 or 11, you should first create a Windows installation drive.
You could check these videos on how to create a Windows installation drive:
Once that is done, you could follow the general steps for booting from USB:
- Plug in your bootable USB flash drive to your computer’s USB port.
- Open Settings and go to Update & Security.
- On the left-hand side nav menu, click on Recovery.
- From the Recovery page, click the Restart now button which is under the Advanced startup section.
- At this point, your computer should restart and show a “Choose an option” screen. Tap on Use a device.
- You should then see a list of devices where your computer can boot from. Select EFI USB Device. Your computer should restart again and boot through the USB device you chose.
- Plug in your bootable USB drive to your computer’s USB port then go to Settings > System > Recovery.
- In the Recovery page, click the Restart now button beside Advanced startup. A dialog box will then appear, click Restart now.
- This time, your PC will reboot and load the recovery environment. There are several options available, click Use a device option.
- From the “Use a device” window, select UEFI USB Device.
- Once again, your computer will restart and boot from USB.
Q & A
Can you boot from USB without BIOS?
Contrary to what some people think that it is not possible, you may be able to successfully boot your computer using a USB drive and without BIOS. Depending on your operating system, you can follow the steps we mentioned above.
How to boot from USB without BIOS?
The procedure may slightly differ depending on your operating system but the general steps include plugging your USB drive on your computer, going to Settings > Recovery > Restart now and then choosing UEFI USB Device (without BIOS). UEFI is like the modern version of BIOS.
If you are looking to boot your computer from USB without BIOS, the good news is it is possible and we have outlined the steps for you. The entire process should just take a few minutes and if you follow the steps, you should be able to successfully booth without any problem.